Bliss by Shay Mitchell & Michaela Blaney

"Sophia Marcus, 21, has already mapped out every aspect of her glamorous life as a Hollywood actor on her vision board. But her life right now in Toronto is anything but exciting. Attending fruitless auditions during the day and working at a douche-y club at night, Sophia is starting to feel like she's going nowhere...slowly.

Demi Michaels, Sophia's best friend, didn't go to college after high school. Short of ideas for her own future, she puts her energy into building the perfect relationship with an older man. And when that relationship crashes and burns, Demi is left to pick up the pieces.

Sophia's friend (and Demi's frenemy) Leandra Hunting doesn't give a crap about hard work or a loving relationship. She has other plans for her future. After college graduation, Leandra sets out to travel the world in the yachts, planes and limos of ridiculously wealthy men. Will any of them be able to show her what love really means--if she can take off her Chanel sunglasses long enough to see it?" (goodreads)
 

 
I was originally drawn to this book for the obvious reason, one of the authors is from Pretty Little Liars. I haven't seen many reviews for Bliss, but the ones I have seen haven't lived up to the hype I was hoping for. Regardless I was still excited to experience this book and see what Shay Mitchell had to offer as a writer.
 
I actually really enjoyed this book, it hooked me right away. With a prologue reminding me of Britney Spears' Crossroads, I could tell the three teenage BFFs were in for a rocky ride.
 
I really enjoyed Demi and Sophia's character, with Sophia reminding me of Shay herself in situations. Along with Demi, I wasn't a huge fan of Leandra. I thought she was too fabulous for life, spoiled and ungrateful. I actually knew a girl in university just like her and everything she did just made my eyes roll, but her character did have an interesting, exotic storyline.
 
Since the girls weren't always in the same place at the same time, the story didn't always overlap, but it was even more enjoyable when it did. Going between Demi, Sophia and Leandra's chapters, there wasn't a single boring character. Sophia was a character you really wanted to root for while between Demi and Leandra you wondered how each girl could mess up even worse than before. 


What I related most to this story was the friendship.
Obviously Demi and Leandra aren't friends anymore and was dying to know what happened between them. Sometimes friendships don't make it and I felt this really represented well the high school friendship that didn't last or turned sour.
I also really related to Sophia and Demi's friendship. They are living in different cities, trying to get through the early years of adult life. They both have a lot of shit on their plate and are trying to handle being an adult and finding bliss with as much grace and dignity as possible. They really put the effort into their friendship and even when they mess up or make the wrong decision they have unconditional love for one another, something that feels so rare in friendship.

The ending was pretty decent. This was the kind of story I didn't really see a specific ending in sight, but I think, for the most part, everyone ended up where they needed to be. Personally I would have liked a bit of clearing the air with Demi after she made that awkward comment to Leandra in front of her boss. I would have liked to see how that conversation played out, it didn't feel like full closure with her story.
    
  I think I read this book at the right place in my life. Already in my mid twenties I have a few years experience negotiating the waters of friends, work and relationships. I always enjoy a book that much more when I can relate back to my own experiences and feel for the characters on a personal level. I have a guilty pleasure for rich, fabulous girls in fancy places and this book was just a quick, light fun read. I did not find this book about rich bimbos with rich girl problems. To me Bliss was more 3 girls trying to navigate in the rich, adult world. They made big mistakes and had real adult problems. Money, looks and fame was just to sweeten the storyline that kept me on the journey with these characters. Demi, Sophia and even Leandra will hold a special place in my heart.

I recommend Bliss to the guilty pleasure read who may also be a fan of Gossip Girls. Also, if you are in to the life of the rich and fabulous and a fan of Shay Mitchell, I suggest checking out The Heiresses by Sara Shepard where she will make her next grand appearance!
I keep hearing rumors that Mitchell (and hopefully Blaney) is working on another book, and I personally cannot wait.

 
My Rating: 4/5 Stars
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen